Friday, August 15, 2008

Send these, the geriatric, tempest-tossed, to me.

So this afternoon I went from having zero job offers/prospects/wills to live to two bleak but acceptable job offers. This is certainly going to affect the somber mood of unemployment I was trying to conjure here. For example, I was composing this great piece about holding up the world with an As-Seen-on-TV exacto knife in jobless desperation, with kind of a neo-realist The Bicycle Thief flavor. Now this will be all misplaced and out of order by the time it's completed. Geez. (I swear, I will never be happy.)

JOB 1 is basically data entry for summit sports online. It's in Bloomfield Hills, 40 hours a week in a dirty, boxy room with computer cubicles facing cracked, unfinished walls. BUT, there's a foozball table! (To quote the practically sleep walking man who interviewed me: "we like to have fun here.") This job pays 9 dollars an hour and just may bore me to death.

JOB 2 = babysitting an old woman. She was described to me as thus: She wants someone funny and nice who will go for walks with her and help her put on makeup. how fun is that! She's not even incontinent! I love old people, because they're all slow and ugly and nobody else likes them. Give me your tired, your poor, your cataract addled, arthritic masses. I love to listen to them ramble on about how they stood in line at the grocery store to buy one pear in 1937, and how their children don't appreciate them, and the kids these days with the pot and the nose piercing's, I LOVE THAT. Don't ask me why. Job 2 pays 9.00 an hour but it's only 20 hours a week, monday through friday 1 to 5.

One of these choices is more responsible than the other. The irresponsible job leaves plenty of free time to look for a more responsible job that won't bore me to tears. I already accepted the first job because job 2 came secondly.

So what's a girl to do? Discuss.

Oh, and the fact that I'm a college graduate toiling over two 9 dollar an hour, non skill based jobs is NOT up for discussion. I know that. But we musn't dwell. There's no market for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5 comments:

Hilary said...

Vote irresponsible!

Here's one way to explain it to the parents: you can eventually use referrals to start your own business as a companion for older women, but no way can you start your own business as ...data entry a la carte, unless you want to move to Bangalore.

So you could start by asking your parents if they want you to move to Bangalore.

stuporfly said...

Why can't you combine the two and get that old lady doing data entry? If she tries to tell you her rheumatiz is acting up, whip her across the eyes.

Chick Young said...

Well done Mollster. Well done.

Anonymous said...

This sucks, but maybe I could recommend you at my job. You'd probably hate it, as I do, but it pays like, $14-15/hr and has great benefits.

Lots of data entry, 40 hour work-weeks, and phone calls, but it pays okay and the benefits are some of the best in the country. It is business attire (which I like, obviously--CAN YOU TELL?), but... pays loads better than your current...

Anonymous said...

Dilbert job or the Fruitcake Lady?If she is nice, hedge your bets and keep hunting. Good luck!
Deepnaharta from LJ